THE APPARITION OF OUR LADY OF LA SALETTE IN FRANCE
On September 19, 1846, two children spoke of having met a “Beautiful Lady” in the countryside where their cows were grazing, above the village of La Salette. Maximin Giraud was 11 and Melanie Calvat was 14.
At first seated and weeping, the ‘Beautiful Lady’ stood up and, in French and in the local dialect, she spoke to them for a long time about her Son, drawing examples from their own lives.
She gave them a Message and told them to see that it was passed on to all of her people.
The light in which she was bathed and which enfolded all three of them came from a large crucifix which she wore upon her breast, and which bore a hammer and pliers on its crossbar. She bore a heavy chainupon her shoulders and, and alongside the chain, roses. Her head, her body and her feet were outlined by roses. Then the “Beautiful Lady” moved up a short, steep rise and disappeared into the light.
On September 19, 1851, after a long and rigorous enquiry, Msgr. Philibert de Bruillard, the Bishop of Grenoble, declared in a celebrated mandate that the “apparition of the Blessed Virgin to two shepherds on the mountain of La Salette… had all of the characteristics of truth and that the faithful had good grounds to believe it, accepting it as certain beyond doubt.”
In 1855, Msgr. Ginoulhiac, Bishop of Grenoble, after a new enquiry, confirmed the decision of his predecessor by declaring: “The task of the shepherds is complete; that of the Church begins.”